If you need to sign up for SR-22 insurance due to a DUI, DWI, or other serious driving offense, choosing the right provider can help you save money in the long run.
With the right SR-22 policy, you can avoid penalties, maintain your driving privileges, and get back on the road as soon as possible.
Read on for 9 ways to know you’ve chosen the right SR-22 insurance provider.
1. They Have Proper Licensing
The insurance agent you speak with about your SR-22 document and need for insurance should have a proper insurance license from the relevant state regulatory agency.
All state governments have a central licensing board which you can search for confirmation that your agent has the proper licenses and permits to sell auto insurance.
Each state will have its own licensing division. You can likely find yours by searching for your state plus “insurance license lookup” in your preferred search engine.
For instance, the NY State Department of Financial Services allows users to search for licenses.
2. They Have Great Customer Reviews
Before you work with a particular agent or insurance company, you want to do your due diligence and make sure that other clients have had successful outcomes.
You can check online for reviews from popular sites like Yelp, and Google, or social media networks like Reddit.
If you see common trends, such as a pattern of negative reviews or similar criticisms between clients, you can take those as a sign of trouble ahead.
You should also consider reviewing if your preferred agent or carrier has any active or historical enforcement actions.
3. They Offer Competitively Priced Policies
If you have an SR-22, you can expect to pay more for auto insurance than someone who does not. However, if you work with the right provider, you can find ways to save money.
Some ways that drivers save money include:
- Completing a defensive driving class.
- Receiving quotes from multiple providers.
- Following the instructions of your state government and court system.
- Paying your insurance premiums on time and avoiding lapses in coverage.
- Consider non-owners insurance if applicable to your life circumstances.
In some cases, after your reporting period terminates, you may see lower insurance premiums. This price change depends on the insurer’s policies, however.
We have written a guide to help you understand how to get the most competitive quote possible for this type of product.
4. They Have Great Customer Service
Your carrier should make it easy to contact them. Before choosing a particular agent or company to do business with, consider contacting their customer service email address or phone number to get a sense of how they operate.
If you call or email a company and receive poor service, you can expect that to continue after you become a customer.
Find Cheap SR-22 Auto Insurance Quotes
5. They Specialize in SR-22 Issues
Not every agent or insurer has experience with the issues associated with an SR-22. Given the complexity of state requirements, paperwork, and rules, it makes sense to work with a specialist.
A good provider can help you avoid the following types of mistakes:
- Avoid driving with inadequate insurance: A reputable agent can help you to pick a plan that combines state requirements with affordability.
- Avoiding license expiration: If your license expires, you may incur additional penalties if you are pulled over.
- Paying on time: A good company will provide you with timely reminders to pay or allow for automatic payments. Failure to pay your premium can result in the cancellation of your policy and result in additional criminal penalties.
- Moving states: If you plan to relocate to a different state, you may need to continue paying for your existing policy.
6. They Have a Track Record of Success
The ultimate goal of anyone who has an SR-22 is to have the requirement removed at the end of the state-mandated time frame.
If you work with a provider who has experience with the challenges associated with these products, they will know the ins and outs of navigating the additional complexity and cost to insure a driver with a DUI or other major violation.
A good carrier will also understand the state-specific requirements. Some states may not even have a reporting requirement, so it makes sense to work with a provider that can point you in the right direction.
7. They Help You Pay Less After Your SR-22 Expires
Once your SR-22 expires, a good insurer will help you with the process of transitioning to a policy at a lower cost.
They may also remind you to inform them of the expiration date so that they can know when to stop filing the required paperwork with the state.
8. They Answer Your Questions
One of the most important aspects of a good insurer or agent revolves around their knowledge and willingness to answer your questions.
A knowledgeable agent will know the most common issues drivers encounter when navigating the SR-22 world, such as:
- Handling DUI and DWI insurance
- Traffic violations
- Expired driver’s licenses
If you do not feel that your agent has answered your questions thoroughly and struggles to find the right answers, it may make sense to move on.
9. They Offer Additional Resources
Filing the paperwork is only half the battle. A good provider will help you proactively avoid problems by offering additional information and resources.
For example, there are related terms and definitions that can help you better understand the laws, procedures, and terminology.
Get SR-22 Insurance at SR-22 Adviser Today!
If you want to choose the right SR-22 provider, our partner offers affordable insurance and you can get in touch with us today. We can help you find the best policy for your needs and budget.